About Local 821
Local 821 represents more than 600 members throughout the state of Florida. The work of a Sprinkler Fitter and Apprentice consists all phases of the installation of fire protection and fire control systems. Our responsibilities include unloading and installing all piping and tubing apparatus and equipment, such as:
- Overhead and underground water mains
- Fire hydrants and hydrant mains
- Hose houses
- Standpipes and hose connections with sprinkler and alarm systems
- Tanks and pumps connected thereto
- The technologies in this industry also include CO2, Cardox, and smoke/fire detection systems, emulsifiers, fog and fog foam, and dry chemical systems.
While working as a Sprinkler Fitter, you may have the opportunity to work on the construction of airports, high-rise buildings, hospitals, schools, shopping centers, power plants, and even residential construction.
We feel that we have the finest Health and Welfare Program in the Building Trades. We do not use any HMOs; however, we do use a PPO network. Also included along with the standard insurance is dental coverage, vision care, and disability insurance. The pension program is currently valued at $110 per credit year with one of the best early retirement options in the construction industry.